An Ingested Orthodontic Wire Fragment: A Case ReportReport as inadecuate




An Ingested Orthodontic Wire Fragment: A Case Report - Download this document for free, or read online. Document in PDF available to download.

1

School of Oral and Dental Sciences, Bristol Dental Hospital, Lower Maudlin Street, Bristol BS1 2LY, UK

2

HSE Regional Orthodontic Department, St. James’s Hospital, Dublin 8, Ireland





*

Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.



Academic Editor: Barbara Cvikl

Abstract Accidental ingestion or inhalation of foreign bodies has been widely documented, including incidents which occur whilst undertaking dental treatment. Most ingested objects pass through the gastrointestinal tract GIT spontaneously, but approximately 10%–20% need to be removed endoscopically and 1% require surgery. This case reports a complication arising from the accidental loss of an archwire fragment during maxillary archwire placement. It describes the immediate and subsequent management, including the use of radiographs to track the passage of the fragment through the gastro-intestinal tract. This case stresses the vigilance that dentists must take to prevent inhalation or ingestion of foreign bodies and the consequences of time-delays when management decisions are needed. View Full-Text

Keywords: orthodontic; wire; fragment; ingested orthodontic; wire; fragment; ingested





Author: James Puryer 1,* , Catherine McNamara 2, Jonathan Sandy 1 and Tony Ireland 1

Source: http://mdpi.com/



DOWNLOAD PDF




Related documents